What is Chimichurri?
My herb garden inspires this homestyle chimichurri. I wanted to make use of the herbs currently growing in my garden. The addition of the spring onions gives a certain Je nais se quois.
My recipe is a great way to start a chimichurri recipe, but you can constantly adjust the ratio and measurements according to preference.
Two cloves of garlic for a milder flavor work best for me. Add one garlic at a time to adjust the taste.
Equal parts parsley and spring onions are the sweet spot for me. Then the addition of about a tablespoon of freshly chopped oregano brings it home.
Red wine vinegar is probably the best acid for chimichurri. If you have no access, a great replacement would be white wine vinegar or lemon juice.
Red pepper flakes and pepper according to taste always. I like a little bit of heat, so about 1/4 tsp of red pepper flakes is about right for me.
How To Make Homestyle Chimichurri
Most recipes whizz everything in a blender and turn it into a paste. I prefer chopping everything up. More old school, and it has a better texture.
I like to chop the garlic first, add the salt and the vinegar.
Then, I chop my herbs, letting the vinegar do its magic with the garlic to taper the robustness.
Mix the chopped herbs, red pepper flakes, and garlic mixtures. Then, top with olive oil.
Serve immediately or set aside for thirty minutes to meld all the flavors together.
How To Store Chimichurri Sauce
Other Uses of Chimichurri
Pin this Homestyle Chimichurri
Let us connect!
- chopping board
- 2 tbsp garlic, finely chopped about two large cloves
- 1 tsp very coarse sea salt or 1/4 tsp Morton's kosher salt
- 1/4 cup chopped finely fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped finely spring onions
- 1 tbsp finely chopped oregano
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- red pepper flakes according to taste
- pepper to taste
- Finely chop garlic cloves. In a bowl, add garlic, salt, and vinegar.
- Chop parsley, spring onions, and oregano. Mix with the garlic mixture.
- Add olive oil and red pepper flakes.
- Set aside for 30 minutes to let the flavors infuse and for the garlic to mellow.
- Serve on grilled meat. Use as a marinade. Or even as a pasta sauce.